Tuesday 17 May 2011

Back To Vinyl

Late last year I acquired a turntable. Only a cheap one (and from a charity shop at that). My previous one breathed its last around five years ago and I had sold off large parts of my record collection from 2003 onwards. I still had 100+ LPs and various singles but I am now starting to properly trawl charity shops, eBay etc to either replace records foolishly sold or pick up ones I didn't have originally.

Charity shops present their own challenge, as you have to search through a lot of copies of 'Manuel And The Music Of The Mountains' in the hope of stumbling across a recently donated audiophile's collection.

Online it's a different matter; pretty much everything you could wish for is there - at a price. And in many cases the price of vinyl seems excessively high, suggesting its in the midst of a renaissance. But with a degree of luck and patience I've managed to add a few records to the growing-again collection at bargain-basement prices. I just need to control the urge and not get carried away (or go online when drunk ...).

No comments:

Post a Comment