Saturday 21 May 2011

Dexys Midnight Runners - This Is What She's Like

Dexys Midnight Runners
This Is What She's Like
Mercury DEXYS1312
£1.00
Filed between The Damned 'The Light At The End Of The Tunnel' and The Dogs D'Amour 'The (Un)Authorised Bootleg Album'.

Bearwood. The Little Nibble. 'You weren't talking about me were you?'

From the album that killed off their career (the Stone Roses should have taken heed when they similarly disappeared into the wilderness) but is now lauded as a classic, 'This Is What She's Like' is, well, what can I say? The Italians have a word for it ...

I had the album (Don't Stand Me Down) back in 1985 and it pretty much went straight over my head. It was a long way removed from its predecessors, which was no big surprise as Kevin Rowland had a tendency to re-invent himself. It wasn't an album aimed at 14 year olds (such as I was at the time) but even so I knew there was something in there. 'Listen To This' had the most in common with the Dexys I knew and although at the time I didn't appreciate aspects of 'This Is What She's Like' I immediately liked the latter parts of it.

It was an album I would go back to over the years. And as I got older more and more of it made sense. By the time the band (or a new incarnation of it) surfaced in 2003 it was a staple part of my collection and something that I would merrily force people to listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment