Thursday 23 June 2011

Stevie Wonder - Original Musiquarium I

Stevie Wonder
Original Musiquarium I
Motown 428009
£1
Filed between The Velvet Underground 'Loaded' and Wreckless Eric 'The World According to Wreckless Eric'.

Thanks to my age my early knowledge of Stevie Wonder places me in the era of ‘Happy Birthday’ and ‘I Just Called To Say I Love You’. They may have both been huge hits but they’re hardly classic/creditable and, even after appreciating the Red Hot Chili Peppers cover of ‘Higher Ground’ I’ve never really investigated his back catalogue any further.  

This collection carries further examples of schmaltz ('Isn't She Lovely', 'You Are The Sunshine Of My Life') but thankfully the four sides are handily arranged into loose themes with sides 1 & 3 being those most likely to trouble my turntable.

No comments:

Post a Comment